Jul 26, 2015

Those are good for when someone dies. (and Romans 8:38-39)

Lucy and I lost a friend, Ms. Irma.  We are among many people who loved her and will miss her.  We had gone to visit her about a week ago.  She was small and still, but was able to visit a bit.  We talked and cried and prayed, and it was hard but it was so good.

Lucy and I talked on the way home about how she was sick.  "Will she die?" Lucy asked.  "Yes," I told her, because I knew it was true.  We talked about how she'd be in heaven, with Jesus, and he would hold her in his arms and say, "Welcome, my precious child."

We were in the car on the day she died.  We had talked about it earlier, and talked again about how we would miss her but that she was whole and healthy and happy with Jesus.

She requested a new verse song--"For I am convinced"  so I played it and she sang along.  She said, "I want to hear this one, and then John 3:16, and then 'Do Not Fear'."  She'd never had such a specific "playlist" of different songs before.  They are on 3 different CDs of the 4 CDs of verse songs we have in at one time, and three of 25 songs or so that she knows well.

"Those are good for when someone dies," she said, with a certain little nod.

Here are the songs/verses she chose:

Romans 8:38-39
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Isaiah 41:10
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Songs about never being out of God's presence, eternal life, and God's presence and provision when we're scared.  Yes, Lucy, I'd say these will do.


No comments:

Post a Comment