Sep 4, 2013

duck tales


 
Hi Lucy!  I am your ducky.  You know, the yellow one, with a green belly and floppy feet?  Yep, that one.  I just wanted to say a few things. 
 
First of all, I love you.  You're wonderful.  You make sure I get tucked in with you every night (and your mama has to kiss me, too).   You are good and kind to me, and you make sure I have bandaids when I have a boo boo and that I hear many beautiful songs.
 
You might not know this, but I met your mama before I even met you.  She saw me and fell in love (of course).  But she was so strange!  She picked me up, all hopefully, and then squashed me back down.   Then she circled around and drove by a few times.  (By this time, I thought she might have problems).  She picked me up, took a deep, determined breath, and finally bought me.  She said things like, "I bought a toy.  For my baby!"  Then she'd get all high and squeaky and "---I'm-going-to-adopt-a-real-baby-and-it's-really-happening-and-am-I-ready-and-I-bought-this-duck---" 
 
Ahh, I thought.  I now know my job.  I'll be the best, calmest, most re-assuring duck ever for this crazy lady and her new special baby.  So that's what I did.
 
This Mama-lady was kind of obsessed with you.  She talked about you all the time and got your bed all made up special and plunked me down right in the middle of it.  Sometimes she kind of held me like I was a baby, and she tried out one of those baby-wearing wraps with ME in it...  This was a little above and beyond the call of duty for a duck, but I went along with it.  I couldn't help but be excited, too.  If you were this special, to make this lady so crazy about you before she even met you, well, you must be pretty great.
 
I was really happy to meet you when you finally came home.  You were definitely a kind of celebrity.  People talked about you in hushed, reverent tones, and everything you did was scrutinized and awed over.  "Did you see how she crinkled her nose?"  "She's SO funny when she eats her green beans!"  And the clothes!  They were all just batty about your precious, adorable clothes.
 
I knew right away that you were very special.  You just had a delectable special-ness just sparkling along in your sparkly eyes.  I thought you were great.
 
I just stayed calm and reassuring.  You started to like me, just a bit.
 
I stayed close, always ready to lend you support.
 
 
 
I think it was my quiet, ducky strength that finally won you over. 
 
Now, not to brag, of course, but I'm a favorite.  I'm the go-to toy for bedtime and real tears have been shed when I was left at Nana's.  That means I'm IN.

 

 \
 

In short, I love you, too, Lucy.  Thanks for the good times :)

No comments:

Post a Comment