May 15, 2015

Lucy Lately....

Lucy and I were walking out of Kroger.  "Hi!" she exclaimed, and started toward a lovely Hispanic woman and her elementary-aged children.  I smiled at them, then looked back at Lucy questioningly.  She stopped short and asked, "You do know them, right mama?"  I didn't.  But it's so funny to me that she thinks I'm buddies with all Hispanic people :)

Also, I had a Diet Coke with this label:


"I can read that!"  Lucy exclaimed.  "It says EVAPORATED!"
I think she overshot it a bit, but she's really thinking about those letter sounds!

She also told me this morning about a conversation with her imaginary boyfriend (?!?).  It started out with a kind of a shimmy and a "Heeeeeey giiiiiiiiiiiirl,  you wanna have a date?"  I'm toast.

We sometimes toss things out the car windows.  I always say something about how the birds can eat it because it's always something biodegradable--a cracker, an apple core, etc.  Yesterday we were driving and she said that she needed a tissue, becuase she had  had a "boog" on her finger.  I couldn't find anything, so I said that she could toss it out the window.  Long pause.  "Mama, it's really -isgusting.  I don't think the birds will want to eat it."

She asked last week,  "Mama, did the UKs win?"  Nope, I answered.  "Then who won the football?"

She was in the back of the car recently, looking at her hands.  She had 2 fingers up on one hand and 4 on the other.  "Two plus four equals six.  And (finger maneuvering) four plus two equals six!  Mama, there are two ways to make six!"  I blew her mind by putting three and three up on my hands.  Delighted giggle.  "Math is so fun." she sighed.

I've been eating low-carb, which is pretty great for the ol' diabetes.  She isn't super-enthused, and recently told me, "My doctor told me that I have to eat HIGH CARB.  Just, like, candy and stuff."  Nice try, throwing in a professional medical opinion!

And this scene from when I checked on her tonight:

She's sleeping, and that is a picture book, open to a picture of her and I that she looks at "when she misses Mama."  I don't even have words for the sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment