Mar 18, 2012

talking up a storm

Lucy is surprising me every day with her growing communication skills.

Tonight she said "shoes" as I took off her shoes, "socks" as I took off her socks, and then suprised me with a new one--"pants!"  The adorable part is that she's SO pleased with herself when she says a new word.  She ducks her head and grins for all she's worth--precious!

I'm a self-admitted language geek, so I'm just fascinated at watching her acquire these skills.  My bookshelves are FULL of language books (501 Spanish verbs, Portuguese for beginners, Thai heart phrases, Japanese class text book, teach yourself New Testament Greek...I'm a little ashamed to admit that there are quite a few more than that).  I've worked HARD to pick up bits of these langauges.  I studied, I practiced, I worked to make sense of them.  And it just amazes me that God created children to just learn languages. No flashcards, no study guides, no vocab lists.  All it takes is what they need:  interaction with the people who love them.  I can't quite believe that it just happens, but Lucy Joy (along with...everyone else, (but she's my favorite example, and the one I get to observe this miracle in)) is proving that it's true. 

I wanted to capture a snapshot of her developing language skills at 17 months.
She says:
  • Hi  adamently and often
  • Bye
  • Mom I tried for "Mama" but it's always been mom.  And MOM sounds good :)
  • Pap
  • Nana
  • Uu Jaa Uncle John
  • Da-du thank you.  She says it very stacatto and short, right when you hand her something. SO cute.
  • Wah  water
  • Muh  milk
  • No  always like a question... No?
  • Yeah!  very enthusiastically.  I walked into her room the other morning, asking, Do I hear a good girl in here? and got a YEAH! from her crib :)
  • Quack   a surprising entry in the first handfull of words. (It *may* sound a little like cock)
  • Cracker  sounds a lot like her "quack" :)
  • Banana
  • Uh-oh
  • Shoes, socks, pants!
  • A bite, A bath  she always uses the article "a" with these words, it's funny!
  • Baby  it sounds kind of like be-be
  • Ni-ni  night-night
  • Iiii yu  I love you
  • 2 and 3  kinda.  If her pointer finger is out, she's counting, by golly!
  • Amen.  She says it after we pray, but also at the end of books. She reads to herself now.  Badadabadab.  and then says AMEN. solemnly as she closes the book.
  • Baa and moo and ruf-ruf  When she sees these animals, she makes the noises.  But the moo is more like vruu.
  • Aaall done.   after almost every bite. 
  • I dop.  I'm adopted. :)
  • up
  • yum-yum
  • nose, eye, mouth sometimes pointing to the right one... sometimes trying to pluck out my eye
  • Side  outside
It's so funny to ask her questions (I have done that forever) and actually have her answer!  Communicating  :)  She tries new ones every day... I just haven't been able to decipher them yet.  There's one that she said several times today that I can't wait to figure out! 


And when she talks to her babies, she uses these words but about an octave higher :)

No comments:

Post a Comment